Saturday, May 15, 2010

Hade's Revisitant


My studio work involves "utilitarian" and "sculptural" focuses. Each does what the other cannot.

I can reduce my recent sculptural work to the bare threads of writing. Starting with the premise that biblical stories are 'constructs' in need of characters developed through the usual means of narrative, I've chosen various cathedral floorplans and motifs as armatures. Direct references to these architectural devices might fall away as the process of construction proceeds. Ultimately, in my sculpture I want to present a reflection on the human condition that provides a conflict between Enlightenment and Reason.

Rarely on firm ground while working, it's important to me that I be unsure of "where to next?" This way options remain available and the fragmentary nature of the work literally becomes reflective of my state of mind.

No comments: